42. Suprarenal cortical adenoma

Page created on April 4, 2019. Not updated since.

Organ: Adrenal gland


There is a large, kind of yellowish, benign tumor. It has a capsule, an expansile border and is well-demarcated.

The black part of the prep is probably a haemorrhage in association with the tumor.

Diagnosis: Adrenal adenoma


  • Nothing special


These tumors are “silent” in 80% of cases, meaning they don’t produce hormones. In the remaining 20% of cases they can produce aldosterone or cortisol, causing Conn syndrome or Cushing syndrome, respectively.

These tumors are usually yellow due to their lipid content, however the formalin fixation for this preparation has made it less yellow.

Protected Area

These images are password-protected due to copyright concerns. Please verify with a password to unlock the content. If you are a medical student in Pécs or feel like you should have access to the content for any other reason, send me an e-mail.

One thought on “42. Suprarenal cortical adenoma”

Leave a Reply

Inputting your name is optional. All comments are anonymous.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.